Workshops

Tips, hints, how to, how not to etc.

Workshops

Postby BigToughGully » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Hey Barry, I hope that all is well for you at the moment. I'm getting in touch regarding the workshops that you sometimes do at various schools and universities. Do you ever get the chance to do these elsewhere, at events or local studios?

The reason I ask is because i'm just coming to the end of my animation degree, and unfortunately I have never had a chance to receive any training in stop motion. But this is something that I am still eager to learn about. I have books of course, but i've preferred the one-to-one mentor approach.

I saw you about two years ago when you gave a talk at my Uni, but I didn't get to meet you in person. At the time a few people in my class asked if we could try and bring you in for a workshop, but apparently the budgets couldn't allow it.

Most people that i've spoken to have mentioned how effective your teaching methods are, and it turned out that one of the most inspiring animations that I have seen this year....which I kept returning to whilst I was working on my final year project....was actually a test created at one of your workshops. So i'm eager to keep my ear to the ground in case of any possible workshops that might appear on the horizon.

Thanks for reading, all the best.
BigToughGully

Re: Workshops

Postby Barry » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:57 am

Hi there, and yes I certainly do workshops anywhere, whether a college or a studio. Once two animators won a financial sum for a short film they made, and spent it on getting me there for a week of private tuition. Let's talk further. I tend to adapt any teaching to make it more personal to those individuals in the class. I'll be happy to help.
All the best
Barry
Barry

Re: Workshops

Postby BigToughGully » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi Barry, thanks for your reply. I've been trying to find out if it would be possible to use the facilities at the University, considering that i've just finished up there. Although it seems like that may be a problem, it's the Salford campus at MediaCity and something to do with the renting arrangements make things a bit more complicated so i'm told.

I have also considered hiring some studio space for a setup, but i'm just cautious about the other costs of arranging that. Ideally i'd like to use a space that already has the necessary facilities available. My tutor proposed the idea of asking if you had a studio that you often use, or if you know of any in the local area that may be ideal for both of us?
I've also asked my other tutor Joe for any advice about this.

Should we switch to private messaging or email to discuss the more delicate subjects such as costs, availability, etc.?
I understand that you are quite busy at the moment with Toby, and i'm in no particular rush....as my time has pretty much completely freed up since finishing.
BigToughGully

Return to Animation hints and tips