Clothes or foam body??

Tips, hints, how to, how not to etc.

Clothes or foam body??

Postby Lucille » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:42 pm

Hello Barry, how are you doing? My name is Lucille, hope you remember me from your visit to Argentina. I kept working hard on my short film "The portrait of the pestilence".

I am in the stage of making the puppets these days and I have a question for you...Should I use real clothes or foam bodies for them? I've seen that you always work with foam, you decided it to be this way because is more propper for animating? I've worked with clothes before and it was difficult to avoid the movements on the puppets...

However, I've seen short films that use clothes and they turn very realistic and they look awesome too...

It's a tough decision, I suppose.

Thank you for all your tips! hope you and your projects are perfect!

sincerely
Lucille from buenos aires, argentina
Lucille

clothes

Postby Barry » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:37 am

Hi Lucille, and good to hear from you, and I remember your projeect well. i hope it is coming on OK. I would use real clothes, but you need to find fabric that won't look too big in a close up. You need to tailor them just as carefully as you would real clothes, and to stop them slipping around on the puppet when you animate them you could put some double sided tape under them, or just put a few stitches in places that your are likely to touch. And any loose bits you can put wire in them so you can animate them. Wait till you see The Corpse Bride and the costumes in that film....each and every one a work of art.
Good luck.
Barry

Thank YOU

Postby Lucille » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:24 pm

Hi again Barry, and thank you once more for your tips. They're very important to me. So the project goes on all right, I think I am in a difficult moment now, because I am starting puppet making. I've made my armatures with metal pieces and they work okay. I am working now on their balance, so they wont fall when they're walking. And I am already looking for the right fabrics for their clothes!

And I've seen Corpse bride, is absolutely incredible, I was speechless. The perfect match between artists-technicians I've ever seen and the characters are gorgeus. Those puppets are a dream. And they make us believe anything is possible.

Hope your projects are great, see you soon!
and thank you again
Lucy*
Lucille

feet

Postby Barry » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:25 pm

Hey Lucy, good to hear from you. I hope you sort out the balance for the feet....try to use magnets or screw the feet to the set. I'm glad you liked Corpse Bride....did you notice how small the feet were on most of the characters especially Victor. that must have givent he animators huge problems of balance, but oh what glorious animation.
Barry

Return to Animation hints and tips