hi- my latest gig- advice?

Tips, hints, how to, how not to etc.

hi- my latest gig- advice?

Postby john23 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:55 am

hi barry,
happy hot summer time- glad to see production is rolling on, and that you're stuck into it- ignore those niggles, you are GREAT- trust it. Firstly, let me thank you for the London masterclass, which was successful for all concerned, and which I'm so proud to have had a hand in...I must, however apologise for getting so overwhelmed, I forgot to cover some basics before class, like fire escape routes, etc. I beat myself up a bit when I realised it later- and wont make the mistake again. Since we last met I finished the channel 4 gig i mentioned, (thanks for the advice about motion blurring the fan) which was well received although still not released- I upped my bar across this project in so many places, it looks like the work of a different animator- and channel 4 were apparently really happy with it- which, I am told, is a rarity. We were also complimented as being a really easy team to work with- stress and headache free- which was lovely. I'm not saying it was PERFECT, we had to put a virtual camera move ontop of a physical dolly track, and this causes strobing during the tracking shots- I'll not do that EVER again...but I guess we learn as much from the errors as the successes- anyway, despite it having a stupidly small budget, it was a very exciting and fulfilling project, and useful perhaps more overall in terms of working with another comapny to their remit- and having directors, Dop's involved also...getting beyond the bedroom...

I'm writing now because I've got another gig, and it looks similarly intimidating-Next week I'm animating a 1:8th scale bi-plane slowly disassembling itself( footage will be reversed later), while the main camera rotates 360 or more around it. The model and miniature hangar set are stunning, and I'll have to animate from inside the hangar- the floor sections are removable in seperate quarters, and i'll sit in there, and there's not too much headroom between me and the roof. I'm doing this for a chap who is a production designer with LOTS of stunning prior work (including work with PES) who is trying to build up a directing reel- he is a stunning model maker and set designer- but he built the plane months ago, so I have little idea what deconstruction nightmares lie ahead inside, and he is also a little vague on how he wants the dissemble to work, excepting 'maybe we take off the bits nearest the camera, rather than going 'symmetrically from the edges inwards'.
Basically, I'm a little intimidated- equally about whether I deserve to be there than whether I can create the piece...
so far I've just 'kept my mouth shut' as primary policy- I dont want to reveal the small amount of pro work I've got this far, or say something stupid that makes me seem like the hobbyist- I know you are really busy mid project, but I wondered if you had any advice- The same chap is also talking about wanting to do LOTS of stopmotion work this year- so i really don't want to BLOW THE GIG!
The plane is built primarily from plastic sprue and balsa- so the central 'plank' of each wing will have to be cut/sawed down to show it growing when the sequence is reversed- and there is lots of detail- the model has already fooled many people into thinking it is full size. When it has been disassembled down to its final wheel, there'll be another sequence of the wheel emerging from a crate, rolling across the hangar, jumping onto the central dias where the pplane sits/sat, and making its way to the centre...ready for the 'build'- i was wondering also what your instinct would be in terms of support/rigging for such a sequence- Ithere is LOTS of quality rigging available in the studio, and I've asked for tungsten wire...we have ideas, but I'd love to hear your wisdom on this one...
anyway, enjoy Torino if you are still there, good look with your feathered friend...and KEEP THE FAITH! I BELIEVE!
Best wishes
John
ps finished the new book a while back. Very great and useful again, causing lots more insight and changes- but I still love the first book for its more conversational style...they are perfect contrasts to each other. Ta.
john23

Return to Animation hints and tips