Training Tips

Tips, hints, how to, how not to etc.

Training Tips

Postby Wahoony » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:19 am

Hi Barry!

I am leading a seminar at my University in Augsburg, Germany. In this seminar we're making a complete 3-5 minute stop-motion shortfilm, from idea to finished product. Right now we are in the final planning phase with a good, funny plot for the film. In two weeks we're going to start set and puppet construction and animation. We've got sponsoring, a room to shoot in and even composers and an orchestra who are going to write and play the score.

My biggest concern at the moment though is the animation.
All of the students have never animated before, except for a few simple test exercises.
Can you give me a few tipps, what exercises are best suited to teach them the most important basics of animation within 2-5 days?

I know that the time isn't enough to make master animators out of them, but a solid foundation to build on would help a lot. The rest will be learning-by-doing.

Thanks in advance!

Marco
Wahoony

tips

Postby Barry » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:36 pm

hi Marco... good luck with everything. I'll try and write some suggestions later as I'm rushed off my feet now, but the best tip is to keep it simple. I'd rather see something simple animated well, that something complicated animated badly. Keep the puppets very simple, and make everything clear, allowing time for each gesture to read. Don't make it fussy.
Let us know how it goes
B
Barry

Return to Animation hints and tips