Water Effects: Wind in the Willows

Tips, hints, how to, how not to etc.

Water Effects: Wind in the Willows

Postby escott » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:35 am

Hello! I recently purchased this one on DVD and was curious as to what methods were used to simulate water. I understand some info is provided in the interview included on the disc but how difficult was this to achieve? What worked and what didn't? What methods would you use today? (and please don't say CGI) :)

Here are a couple of screenshots:

escott

Postby Daniel Poeira » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:17 pm

This last frame... is fantastic!! I´m flabbergasted!!!
Daniel Poeira

water......

Postby Barry » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:46 am

well it was real water, thickened with a chemical to give it some viscosity, and also a density. I thinkit was only about six inches deep but it was clear and looked like a puddle. adding some cloudiness to it made it look much deeper. I think we filmed in winter and it was so cold, plunging our hands in every frame. This was a long time ago and we would not likely do it like that any more. There's a whole sequence with the water with fish aniamting underneath...that was a clay fish resting on glass. Of course the water level changes as it evapourates, though the cheical slowed that down. The boat was on an invisible rig to keep in place and to travel and rock, but as soon as you disturb the water, you'll never get floating leaves or anythign back in place.
The river in Pied Piper of Hamelin was a length of animating silver fabric, and we've jsut done a very nice one in postman Pat.
Barry

Postby escott » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:03 am

I didn't think about the evaporation over time. That might prove to be a problem with me living in Arizona without a proper air conditioner.

Beautiful work, Barry. Thanks so much for the reply.
escott

Postby Barry » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:25 am

Thanks Eric; perhpas you can have a measuring device to make sure the water is always at a constant level. Another trick is to shine animatable light of different blues and greens into the water, using a 'gobo' , which will give the water a movement it would otherwise lack. Water can look so still and stangnant, so give the illusion of movement. I always try to animate leaves on the surface or a log cut to look submerged.
Hope this helps.
B
Barry

Return to Animation hints and tips