The Hangover

Film, theatre, arts, events - review it here

The Hangover

Postby Barry » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:54 pm

June 20th 2009

Well that was a surprise. I needed to kill an evening with a friend, and i'd heard this film was fun. It certainly wasn't a film on my list, but you know what, I'm not sure I have laughed and squirmed as much in ages. A real comedy of ever increasing embarrassment, and stunningly well plotted, almost told in reverse whilst moving forward. When it jumped straight to the morning after, the titular hangover, I thought how are they going to back track. A great exercise in revealing a backstory. It really does have some hysterical moments, and doesn't let up - and does have the best end credit sequence in a long time. I'm just glad my name wasn't on the list of credits as no-one, myself included, would have watched them. Too much fun clever stuff going on elsewhere. Great fun, and Vegas looked amazing, though I'm not sure it made me want to rush there.
Highly recommended, though I heard some of the audience just not keeping up with it at all, missing so much.
Barry

Re: The Hangover

Postby Kerry » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:06 am

Went to see this yesterday morning, both of us needing to chill out and have good giggle. I was worried that it may be an American 'over silly' film. But totally realistic that all that happened during the stag do could very much happen! I really liked the way it was shot and it was constant narrative and banter. We laughed so much! Both of us in tears and continued to talk about it throughout the day. Zach Galifianakis who is called at one stage 'fat Jesus' was brilliant!

So many funny moments! Alan Davies (QI and Jonathon Creek) is raving about the film on Twitter with everyone twittering their favorite one liners.

If you've had a crap day at work, go and see it and it will do the trick!

Oh and the police classroom scene - nearly wet myself!
Kerry

Postby Kerry » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:12 am

The DVD of 'The Hangover' arrived in the post today. This is the 3rd time we've watched it and it's still hilarious. We had talked about how difficult it must have been to keep straight faces when filming. Watching the extras, one titled 'Gag Reel' we discover that they struggled alot. They often had fits of giggles - especially the hospital scene.

It's such a funny film!
Kerry

Postby Barry » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:53 am

and a surprisingly well crafted film. Am hoping there might be a screener dropping through the letter box.
Barry

Return to Reviews